Construction of the Recolección church started December 5, 1786. Almost a century later, in 1880, another building was constructed next to the church: the Recolección school. The Recolección church is located at the so called 'Bank Street' (Calle de los Bancos); a busy street housing several banks. It is a notable building because of its structure, height, and color. It can be easily recognized when looking over the city from the rooftop of the cathedral. The facade of the church has a Mexican baroque style. The church has a dark yellow color. There are three naves, and the altars are in neoclassical style.