The municipal theater of León was the first theater in Nicaragua. Construction started in 1884 and the theater was inaugurated one year later. It was one of the cultural hotspots of Central America, visited by the rich who enjoyed piano concerts, opera, and other cultural presentations.
The facade of the building was remodeled in 1913 and years later the complete interior of the building was remodeled. In 1956 a fire almost completely destroyed the building. The outer walls were the only parts left standing, but reconstruction work has taken place and nowadays the theater once again provides a stage for cultural shows and presentations.
Be the first to comment!