Denounce destruction of archaeological site Sulingalpa
Stephany Cuadra | Aug 5, 2016
Funds solicited for the site investigation Sulingalpa, affected by abandonment and buildings.
The archaeologist Uwe Paul Cruz, president of the Scientific Cultural Foundation Ulua Matagalpa and cultural adviser for the indigenous people in Matagalpa, confirmed to ViaNica.com the destruction that is suffering Sulingalpa Archaeological site in the community of Apante Grande City Matagalpa. The fact was denounced by electronic way in social networks and a local blog.
The Foundation is dedicated to archaeological research, linguistics, indigenous knowledge in the region of Matagalpa, and the protection of Sulingalpa, which denounced the destruction of the site by illegal excavations and the construction of an evangelical temple. So far, he added, excavations stopped, but has not withdrawn the machinery of the place.
On July 25 an inspection was carried out on the site by the Nicaraguan Institute of Culture (INC) and the Municipality of Matagalpa Cruz reported ViaNica.com. An effort to contact these sources was made to see what happened to the inspection, but no reply was obtained.
What is Sulingalpa?
Sulingalpa (or village dog in Matagalpa dialect) is an ancient Indian settlement and is buried at least three meters deep. They could not get the archaeological remains due to lack of funds to continue the scientific expedition. Therefore Cruz calls out to mayor and all those people who are interested in working for the preservation of history. Anyone who is interested can contact the Foundation through its Fan Page.
The site was discovered by Cruz in 2012 when he was looking for the oldest parts of the region, thanks to a field supported by a census dating back to 1581, in the early days of the colony in the Indian village Matagalpa.
Sulingalpa is one of the neighborhoods of prehistory, and that's why Cruz considers invaluable for its wealth for the reconstruction of the past. "It is a citadel of stone and mud made up of more than 58 residential complexes and plaza, which present the mud called Orange Segovia, which was dated 300 BC to 1435 AD," the foundation posted online.