Nicaragua » About Nicaragua » News Headlines » Last turtle egg hatching of the season
Last turtle egg hatching of the season
ViaNica.com | Mar 3, 2006
The Cocibolca Foundation estimates March 10th as the date when thousands of turtle eggs will hatch at the La Flor beach. About 700 nests are expected to hatch, each of them containing over 90 eggs, at this protected natural reserve.
La Flor is Nicaragua's most important nesting site for Olive Ridley turtles, and the nesting season runs from July until January. The last nesting took place in January, and these eggs will be the last ones to hatch en masse in the 2005-2006 turtle season.
The next massive turtle arrivals (arribada) will take place around July of this year. Throughout the year, individual turtles will also visit the beach to lay their eggs, but it will be a while before the spectacular arribadas will take place again.
For more information, be sure to contact the Cocibolca Foundation.
- Nicaragua: tourism is still in a break Apr 20, 2020
- Fray Odorico massive event modified because of coronavirus Mar 19, 2020
- Tourism is in critical situation in Nicaragua Jul 31, 2018
- The social crisis in Nicaragua Apr 25, 2018
- Fire in Indio - Maiz Biological Reserve Apr 5, 2018
- Festival MotorBeach Nicaragua 2018 Mar 20, 2018
- INC launched a Nicaraguan Handicraft on line catalog Feb 27, 2018
- CCEN: summer night cinema in the terrace Jan 12, 2018
- Emerge Project: Afro-Caribbean concert Nov 8, 2017
- TEDxManagua 2017 "Reconocer" Oct 13, 2017
- News Archive »