11th International Ballet Gala
Róger Solórzano Canales | Jun 12, 2013
Arts companies from 6 countries in the region performed in several cities in Nicaragua.
Professional presentations of classical and neoclassical Ballet, and some contemporary dance performed by companies in the United States, Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Puerto Rico, will make the 11th edition of the International Ballet Gala, which will take place on Friday June 14th at 7:00 pm at the Main Hall of the Ruben Dario National Theater in Managua.
This year the event, anually organized by the Ballet Company of Nicaragua in collaboration with the National Theatre, includes national workshops for the dancers and presentations in different cities of Nicaragua:
- Corinto Municipal Theatre, on June 12 at 6:00 pm
- Leon: Teatro Municipal "Jose de la Cthruz Mena", also on June 12th at 6:00 p.m.,
- Matagalpa: Heroes y Martires Cultural Center, on June 13h at 6:00 pm
- Managua: Auditorio "Fernando Gordillo" at UNAN, on Thursday 13th at 3:30 pm
William Herrera, Director and founder of the gala, expressed at the press conference his enthusiasm to be reaching the 11th celebration of the gala, with more and more artists, and more scenarios to present in the country. The goal, he said, is always to promote the art form of ballet in Nicaragua, as well as fostering an exchange and enrichment with the presence of stars, teachers and students from different countries.
This year the gala will have the participation of 5 recidivist companies and another 4 coming for the first time. Ramon Rodriguez, director of the National Theatre, congratulated the host company for their sustained effort, and for bringing together "the most representative groups of the genre in Central America".
The participants of the gala are:
- Classical Ballet, from Puerto Rico.
- Danse des Étoiles, from Costa Rica.
- Nicaraguan Ballet Company
- Son 5 Company, from Honduras
- Ballet Foundation from El Salvador
- Choreographic Workshop, from UNAM, México.
- Deimos Contemporary Company, from Chihuahua University, México
- I Dance, from the United States
- Mystic Ballet, from the United States
To conclude the show the Rotaract Club (Rotary Club youth members) has prepared a charity event , who will use the funds raised to purchase equipment and economic support to the low income students of the Ballet School of Nicaragua. The cost of admission to the event is US$10.
The event will be in the Crystal Salon of the National Theatre after the presentation on Friday June 14th. Participants will enjoy a wine and cheese toast, plus an exhibition of 97 photographs and graphic images of the ballet school dancers, performed by David Sanchez. There, attendees will share with ballet artists who make up the show, and will enjoy their dances.