Off Road Running Challenge in Esteli Forest
Róger Solórzano Canales | Jun 26, 2013
In July, obstacle race for amateurs and professional runners at Tisey - La Estanzuela Nature Reserve.
For the first time, a wooded area in the mountains up North of Nicaragua will be the location of a competitive obstacles race designed to demand both: experts and amateurs runners in the middle of a stunning natural landscape. This is the "Off Road Running Challenge" to be held on Sunday July 7th at finca Santa Rosa, within Tisey - La Estanzuela Natural Reserve (Estelí), and it seeks to promote an environment of family, community and sport, to project the tourism potential of the area.
The competition will be held on a 3.5 km circuit which provides barrier, mug and fire obstacles, among others. It will be a Spartan Race type competition, organizers said. Participants will test their strength, agility and mental dexterity, and will enjoy a lot of adrenaline and energy waste. The challenge will take place in the middle of wooded trails and scenic rural land with characteristic cool climate north side of our country.
This event is developed by VerdEventos, and has the support of the USAID Program of Sustainable Tourism Development -managed by FHI 360 company- as well as national and local private companies. It also involves the National Chamber of Tourism (CANATUR) and the Nicaraguan Institute of Tourism (INTUR). This year VerdEeventos has organized these events:
Categories and registration
Participants will have 4 different categories to sign up, to complete a 5 kilometers or 10 kilometers circuit, depending on the categories. Registration is now open, and can be done personally or online. The categories are:
- Elite 10K: for professional runners and members of the army, national police or red cross. 10km route. Registration cost per person: US$10.
- Male 10K: open category for male runners over 16 years. 10km route. Registration cost per person: US$10.
- Female 5K: open category for female runners over 16 years. 5 kilometer route. Registration US$10 per participant.
- Family 5K: special category which will involve a family team consisting of an adult couples (man and woman) plus a child between 10 and 15 years. The team will consist of 3 people. 5 kilometer route. Registration of $ 20 for team (all three people).
The registration fee includes commemorative shirt for each runner, fruits, water, sports drinks and tastings from sponsors. To register:
- Online registration at ViaNica.com, for payments with international debit or national credit cards. To register, click and complete the following form
- Personal registration in Managua at CANATUR: from Restaurant La Marseillaise, 50 meters East, Spanish Nicaraguan Chamber building. (505) 2270 2587.
- Registration in Estelí at INTUR delegation: from Curacao 55 meters East. Plator Plaza, 2nd floor. (505) 2713 6799.
There will be cash prizes in each category, as well as gifts from sponsors.
Get Directions and more information
From Managua, take the North Panamerican Highway until kilometer 135, and there turn right, heading towards San Nicolas. At the junction of San Nicholas (km 144), take the detour that goes to the communities of La Garnacha and Tejera and follow the signs that will tell you how to get to the competition.
From Estelí, from the south area of San Juan de Dios Hospital, take the road that leads to the communities of La Estanzuela and Tisey until a detour to the right. Follow the signs.
For more information contact:
- Felipe Zeas: (505) 8527 8362 , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Julio Alvarado: (505) 8527 8362.
Translated by Cynthia Cordero