Thirteenth International Guitar Festival in Nicaragua
Róger Solórzano Canales | Nov 11, 2013
Guitarist from 7 different countries will participate on free workshops and concerts from November 13-16.
Managua, León and Juigalpa will host several activities as part of the thirteenth International Guitar Festival ‘’Corazón de América’’. The event starts on wednesday ,november 13th and will end on saturday 16th. During these 3 days, concerts and free workshops will be developed. 30 international guitarist from Mexico, Cuba, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panamá, Spain and from Nicaragua are going to participate
Julio Vásquez, guitarist, organizer and founder of the festival, explained that in this edition they celebrate the composer Carlos Mejía Godoy 70 birthday and 45 years of artistic life, ‘’who led us to the regional singing based in our folkloric roots, to all the corners of Nicaragua and beyond borders’’, he said. The artists and groups participating in this festival are listed at the end of this article. This year the special guest is the well known spanish guitarist Antón Jiménez.
As part of the tradition, the festival presents a program of concerts as well as workshops with exceptional artists, sharing their knowledge openly. Founded in 2001 to promote guitar music among the nicaraguan public, the festival has been consolidated as one of the most important cultural proposals in the country and the region.
The Festival is summarized chronologically below:
Wednesday, November 13th:
- Managua, concert at UNAN at 3:00 pm.
- Managua, Opening concert at Centro Cultural de España in Nicaragua, 7:00 pm
Thursday, November 14th:
- Juigalpa, concert at UNAN Faren at 11:00 am.
- Managua, master class with Igor Avila at Universidad del Valle, 2:00 pm.
- Managua, concert at Universidad del Valle, 3:00 pm.
- Managua, collective guitar wirkshop, Centro Cultural Barahola, 4:00 pm.
- Managua, concert at Centro Cultural Barahola, 6:00 pm.
Friday, November 15th:
- Managua, lecture with Fermando Mariña and Promúsika at UCA, 10:00 am.
- Managua, conference about guitar, UCA, 2:00 pm.
- Managua, orchestral guitar concert, UCA, 2:00 pm.
- Managua, tribute concert to Carlos Mejía, all guitarists, 5:00 pm.
Saturday, November 16th:
- León, Closing concert with the participation of all the guitarists, Colegio Tridentino San Ramón, 5:00 pm.
- Antón Jiménez from Spain.
- Igor Avila, Mexico
- Fernando Mariña, Mexico
- Grupo orquestal GATMA, Panama
- Orquesta de Guitarras del TEC, Costa Rica
- Promúsika, Cuba-El Salvador
- Alma Flamenca, El Salvador
- Ensamble de Guitarras de la ENAM, Nicaragua
- Julio Vásquez, Nicaragua
- Elvis Bendaña, Nicaragua
- Carlo Calderón, Nicaragua
- Orquesta de Cámara de la UNAN, Nicaragua
- Niños de Batahola, Nicaragua